Mpumalanga News is a sold community newspaper that was established in 1994 and best appeals to rural communities within the boundaries of the Lowveld Region who rely on it for various news content pertaining to community development, safety and security and economic opportunities.
It boasts of a weekly print-order of 15 000 copies and is published every Thursday. Its content focuses on both urban and rural communities, keeping them on tabs with a variety of hard, community, entertainment, business, finance and sports news in and around the Lowveld Region.
Lately, the newspaper, which is published in English, also includes a weekly column on Swazi culture, which has become popular among traditionalists, including learners at schools.
The newspaper is available at business hubs, shopping centres, supermarkets, taxi ranks, bus terminals and other outlets.
While it is a mainly black-read newspaper in the Nelspruit metropolitan area, it has extended its popularity among all major towns in and around the Lowveld Region, which include White River, Hazyview, Bushbuckridge, Acornhoek, Lydenburg, Barberton, Badplaas, Malalane and Komtaipoort - it also appeals to all race groups and age groups.
Advertorials are offered free of charge to expose new businesses when they advertise in the Mpumalanga News and it is audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulation.
Awards and Achievements
1. Sanlam Awards runner-up for Best Front Pages above 8 000 in 2001
2. Sanlam Awards winner for Best front Pages above 8 000 in 2003
3. PMR Africa Diamond Arrow for Local Community newspapers: Outstanding 1st Overall in 2007
4. PMR Africa Diamond Arrow for Local Community newspapers: Outstanding 1st Overall in 2008
5. Govan Mbeki Housing Award for exceptional effort in being the Best Media house on housing issues by the Provincial Department of local Government and Housing in 2008
6. Recogntion of Partnership with the Provincial Department of Education in raising awareness of the Compulsory Schooling Policy in 2011
7. Creative workers Union of South Africa’s Certificate of Recognition for participation, hard work and outstanding contribution in the community of Mpumalanga Province in 2010
8. Selati Cup 2007 as Media Partner for the meaningful contribution in the development of soccer through dissemination of information during Selati Super Cup Tournament
9. Department of Social Development in appreciation of support in building a caring, humane and developed society in 2010
10. Progressive Youth movement’s Presidential Award of Excellence as the Best Provincial Newspaper
11. Merit Certificate for valued support for the 7th Silulumanzi Cup of Mbombela high Schools in 2009
12. Tsb’s Selati Iyanongotela Award in appreciation of continued support to ensure people are informed and being a special partner of the Selati Super Cup in 2009
13. Tsb’s Selati Iyanongotela award for valued contribution in the development of football in the Nkomazi Municipality in 2008
- Outlets in Nelspruit
- Outlets in White River
- Outlets in Barberton
- Outlets in Malelane
- Outlets in Lydenburg
- Outlets in Hazyview
- Outlets in Sabie
- Outlets in Graskop
- Outlets in Bushbuckridge
- Outlets in Waterval Boven
- Kruger National Park
Distribution: Thursdays - 11 500